[puppet] Puppet 5 is officially unsupported in Victoria release

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Mon May 11 12:03:00 UTC 2020

Hi,

IIUC the most important reason behind puppet 5 removal is that puppet 5
is EOLed soon, this month.
 https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/latest/about_agent.html

As you know puppet-openstack has some external dependencies, this can
cause the problem with our support for puppet 5.
For example if any dependencies remove their compatibility with puppet 5,
we should pin all of them to keep puppet 5 tests running.
This is the biggest concern I know about keeping puppet 5 support.

While it makes sense to use puppet 5 for existing stable branches from a
stable
management perspective, I don't think it's actually reasonable to extend
support
for EOLed stuff in master development with possibly adding pins to old
modules.
IMO we can delay the actual removal a bit until puppet 6 gets ready in
Debian,
but I'd like to hear some actual plans to have puppet 6 available in Debian
so that we can expect short gap about puppet 5 eol timing, between
puppet-openstack
and puppet itself.

Thank you,
Takashi