[puppet] Puppet 5 is officially unsupported in Victoria release

Tobias Urdin tobias.urdin at binero.com
Sat May 9 18:52:17 UTC 2020

Hello,

I don't agree, we should continue on the chosen path of not supporting Puppet 5
in the Victoria release.

We've had Puppet 6 support since I introduced the testing for it in 2018 back then we ran
Puppet 5 and Puppet 6 on every commit until we deemed it pretty redundant and moved
Puppet 6 jobs to experimental while keeping the Puppet 6 syntax and unit jobs.

We've never claimed that Puppet OpenStack is going to support downstream OS repackaging of
Puppet, even though RDO/TripleO does the same we've always tested Puppet with upstream
versions for our testing, only Debian has skipped that and testing with downstream packages.

I don't think keeping Puppet 5 jobs for Debian would be a good idea because it would block the
whole idea of moving to Puppet 6 in the first place.

Puppet 5 will be EOL one month after Victoria release, while I highly doubt that we will introduce
changes that will break Puppet 5 in the Victoria cycle we would like to start looking forwarding instead
of being stuck with all the legacy stuff (now that we've moved to CentOS 8 as well), after being active
in the project a longer time we've gone for semi-broken maintenance-mode-only to more active with
keeping everything up to date and following the changes of the OpenStack community.

Thanks to a number of contributors, thank you everyone!

There is a lot things that we could do in Puppet OpenStack (but hey, resources to perform them is scarce)
just to give an example the new Resource API [1] (whether it be with or without the usage of OpenStack CLI).

If anybody ever want something to do I have nice big list of things that we could do, I've posted an old version
of it in an email to this mailing list during PTL nominations.

Best regards

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:new-providers+(status:open+OR+status:merged)