[qa][tempest-plugins] Tempest plugins guide for release, stable branch support, testing etc

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri May 8 21:11:29 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone,

This is one of the pending items, Tempest team wanted to do. Tempest has more than 70 plugins and 57 are active
and in running state. Tempest and its plugins have similar use cases for testing upstream CI/CD as well as
the production cloud. There are always question on how we can coordinate and make release, stable branches
testing more consistent among all the plugins. To do that, I have documented the policy all plugins can follow
along with Tempest.

-  https://docs.openstack.org/tempest/latest/plugins/index.html

The above document includes the plugin creation, releases for start the support for new release or end of support
for Extended Maintenance branches, testing the supported stable etc.

I will be working on a few of those policy implementations on plugins. One thing I already started is to add the supported
stable branch job on plugins master gate. Few plugins like neutron, ironic, heat, Octavia already doing this but not all.

- https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:stable-testing-tempest-plugins+(status:open+OR+status:merged)

This document will be improved with more items and more best practices we can use for writing tests among all the plugins.
One of the pending items I can think is to make the plugins service clients stable interface for other plugins so that integrated
testing among plugins can be done in a more consistent and reliable way. All the plugins can register their service clients
in Tempest and other plugins can detect them from Tempest itself. Tempest already provide the central framework to do that.

-gmann