[openstack-ansible] dropping suse support

Jonathan Rosser jonathan.rosser at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue May 5 13:50:00 UTC 2020

On 08/03/2019 16:36, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been trying to avoid writing this email for the longest time
> ever.  It's really painful to have to reach this state, but I think
> we've hit a point where we can no longer maintain support for SUSE
> within OpenStack Ansible.
>
> Unfortunately, with the recent layoffs, the OSA team has taken a huge
> hit in terms of contributors which means that there is far less
> contributors within the project.  This means that we have less
> resources to go around and it forces us to focus on a more functional,
> reliable and well tested set of scenarios.
>
> Over the past few cycles, there has been effort to add SUSE support to
> OpenStack Ansible, during the time that we had maintainers, it was
> great and SUSE issues were being fixed promptly.  In addition, due to
> the larger team at the time, we found ourselves having some extra time
> where we can help unbreak other gates.  Jesse used to call this a
> "labour of love", which I admired at the time and hoped we continue to
> do as much as we can of.
>
> However, the lack of a committed maintainer for OpenSUSE has resulted
> in constantly failing jobs[1][2] (which were moved to non-voting,
> wasting CI resources as no one fixed them).  In addition, it's causing
> several gate blocks for a few times with no one really finding the
> time to clean them up.
>
> We are resource constrained at this point and we need the resource to
> go towards making the small subset of supported features functional
> (i.e. CentOS/Ubuntu).  We struggle with that enough, and there seems
> to be no deployers that are running SUSE in real life at the moment
> based on bugs submitted.
>
> With that, I propose that we drop SUSE support this cycle.  If anyone
> would like to volunteer to maintain it, we can review that option, but
> that would require a serious commitment as we've had maintainers step
> off and it hurts the velocity of the project as no one can merge code
> anymore.
>
> ..Really wish I didn't have to write this email
> Mohammed
>
> [1]: http://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/builds?job_name=openstack-ansible-functional-opensuse-150
> [2]: http://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/builds?job_name=openstack-ansible-functional-opensuse-423

It's now over 12 months since Mohammed posted this and the situation
remains as described.

It feels like time to reduce the OSA CI surface area to enable patches
to merge and release contributor cycles for new work such as support for
Ubuntu Focal and Centos8.

Two alternative patches are proposed, one to remove support immediately
[1] and another to move the current jobs to non-voting with a view to
removing them entirely for the Victoria cycle [2].

[1] https://review.opendev.org/725541
[2] https://review.opendev.org/725598

Jon.