OpenStack should be buildable with sphinx 2.4: FTBFS in many packages

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Mar 30 17:14:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-29 23:41:03 +0000 (+0000), Arkady.Kanevsky at dell.com wrote:
> I would assume we want all openstack doc per release follow this,
> including all drivers?

Correct, our upper-constraints.txt[0] file actually specifies which
version of Sphinx projects should be using to test their
documentation builds, as of this moment Sphinx===2.4.4 for master
branch docs jobs if run under Python 3.6 or 3.7 (our "tested
runtimes" for the Ussuri cycle[1]). I'm somewhat curious why these
problems weren't caught sooner, given that. Are those projects
running with a different Python interpreter version? Or without
global constraints applied? Or perhaps they're not testing
documentation builds at all when merging changes? We've basically
been telling projects to test[2] with Sphinx 2.4 since 2.4.0 was
first released[3] in February.

[0] https://opendev.org/openstack/requirements/src/branch/master/upper-constraints.txt
[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/runtimes/ussuri.html
[2] https://review.opendev.org/705380