[k8s][zun] Introduce a new feature in Ussuri - CRI integration

mdulko at redhat.com mdulko at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 11:27:57 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 12:17 -0400, Hongbin Lu wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 11:48 AM <mdulko at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 13:28 -0400, Hongbin Lu wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > As we are approaching the end of Ussuri cycle, I would like to take a
> > > chance to introduce a new feature the Zun team implemented in this
> > > cycle - CRI integration [1].

<snip!>

> > > Under the hook, a capsule is a podsandbox with one or more containers
> > > in a CRI runtime (i.e. containerd). Compared to Docker, a CRI runtime
> > > has a better support for the pod concept so we chose it to implement
> > > capsule. A caveat is that CRI requires a CNI plugin for the
> > > networking, so we need to implement a CNI plugin for Zun (called zun-
> > > cni). The role of CNI plugin is similar as kuryr-libnetwork that we
> > > are using for Docker except it implements a different networking
> > > model (CNI). I summaries it as below:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that Zun's CNI plugin [1] is basically a simplified version
> > of kuryr-kubernetes code. While it's totally fine you've copied that, I
> > wonder what modifications had been made to make it suit Zun? Is there a
> > chance to converge this to make Zun use kuryr-kubernetes directly so
> > that we won't develop two versions of that code in parallel?
>
> Right. I also investigated the possibilities of reusing the kuryr-
> kubernetes codebase as well. Definitely, some codes are common among
> two projects. If we can move the common code to a library (i.e.
> kuryr-lib), Zun should be able to directly consume the code. In
> particular, I am interesting to directly consume the CNI binding code
> (kuryr_kubernetes/cni/binding/) and the VIF versioned object
> (kuryr_kubernetes/objects).
>
> Most parts of kuryr-kubernetes code is coupling with the "list-and-
> watch" logic against k8s API. Zun is not able to reuse those part of
> code. However, I do advocate to move all the common code to kuryr-lib
> so Zun can reuse it whenever it is appropriate.

Uhm, moving more code into kuryr.lib is something Kuryr team would like
to avoid. Our tendency is rather to stop depending from it, as kuryr-
kubernetes being a CNI plugin is normally consumed as a container image
and having any dependencies is a burden there.

That's why I was asking about modifications to kuryr-daemon code that
Zun required - to see if we can modify kuryr-daemon to be pluggable
enough to be consumed by Zun directly.