[all][tc] Moving PTL role to "Maintainers"

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 14:04:21 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-03-19 at 09:19 +0000, Mark Goddard wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 13:05, Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I see that the discussion has stalled out, I'd like us to seriously
> > explore this because I think come the PTL time, we might run into a
> > lot of projects who don't have folks stepping in.
>
> We could let the elections take place and see how many teams this will
> apply to. Those teams could then decide how to handle the situation,
> and report results during the cycle. Based on their experience we
> could change the model for V. It seems to me that a relaxing of some
> conditions and expectations on project leadership might be more
> appropriate than a blanket change.
the issue is that the bylaws do not currently allow that.
so what was currently being proposed would allow every project to continue as before
electing ptls but it would no longer make it mandatory for the tc to appoint
a ptl if none was elected.

currently all projects in the govance repo must have a ptl defiend.
so if we do nothing the tc will have to intervene for any project that does not elect
a ptl.