[all][tc] Moving PTL role to "Maintainers"

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Thu Mar 5 00:34:11 UTC 2020

> The key would be to make it short enough that you can be 100%
> confident the next person will take over and not leave you holding the
> bag forever. (Hi Rico!)
>
> I've no idea where the magic number would fall, and it's probably
> different for every team. I'm reasonably confident it's somewhere
> between 1 week and 6 months though.

I think one potential benefit from this comes in the form of killing one
of the other thngs that Zane mentioned (which I totally agree with): The
"(s)he hath spoken" part. I can imagine getting to the point where not
everyone on the team remembers exactly "who is PTL this month" and
certainly the long tail of minor contributors would lose visibility into
this. I think that would dis-empower (in a good way) the PTL-this-month
person both from the perspective of being the constant (even if
unnecessary) decider, and the sounding board for everyone trying to push
their pet efforts through the works.

Although I'm calling "not it" for the month containing the PTG right
here and now ;P

--Dan