[CINDER] Snapshots export

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 15:58:50 UTC 2020

On 03/03, Alfredo De Luca wrote:
> Hi all.
> We have our env with Openstack (Train) and cinder with CEPH (nautilus)
> backend.
> We are creating automatic volumes snapshots and now we'd like to export
> them as a backup/restore plan. After exporting the snapshots we will use
> Acronis as backup tool.
>
> I couldn't find the right steps/commands to exports the snapshots.
> Any info?
> Cheers
>
> --
> *Alfredo*

Hi Alfredo,

What kind of backup/restore plan do you have planned?

Because snapshots are not meant to be used in a Disaster Recovery
backup/restore plan, so the only thing available are the manage/unmanage
commands.

These commands are meant to add an existing volume/snapshots into Cinder
together, not to unmanage/manage them independently.

For example, you wouldn't be able to manage a snapshot if the volume is
not already managed.  Also unmanaging the snapshot would block the
deletion of the RBD volume itself.

Cheers,
Gorka.