[all][tc] Moving PTL role to "Maintainers"

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:34:16 UTC 2020

Putting my former PTL hat on:

I agree with Slawek. I think the PTL role is still important.

That said, the list of responsibilities can get daunting.

I would lean toward re-affirming the "Project Team Leads" statement
you linked and highlight, in the new contributor guides, that the
other tasks can be delegated. Maybe we should also re-word that
statement to clarify or soften the "manage day-to-day operations"
part.

I think over the history of OpenStack we have had "hands on" PTLs and
more "delegate" PTLs, both supporting healthy projects.

The lack of a clear "boundary" for the PTL role has probably lead to
Fear-Uncertainty-and-Doubt. My hope is that the new contributor guide
goal will help clarify the role.
This may also highlight tasks that we can remove (deprecate
ask.openstack.org anyone?).

Michael