OSC future (formerly [glance] Different checksum between CLI and curl)

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Mar 3 17:49:53 UTC 2020

On 3/3/20 11:28 AM, Albert Braden wrote:

> Am I understanding correctly that the Openstack community decided to
> focus on the unified client, and to deprecate the individual clients,
> and that the Glance team did not agree with this decision, and that
> the Glance team is now having a pissing match with the rest of the
> community, and is unilaterally deciding to continue developing the
> Glance client and refusing to work on the unified client, or is
> something different going on? I would ask everyone involved to
> remember that we operators are down here, and the yellow rain falling
> on our heads does not smell very good.

I definitely would not characterize it that way.

With trying not to put too much personal bias into it, here's what I
would say the situation is:

- Some part of the community has said OSC should be the only CLI and
that individual CLIs should go away
- Glance is a very small team with very, very limited resources
- The OSC team is a very small team with very, very limited resources
- CLI capabilities need to be exposed for Glance changes and the easiest
way to get them out for the is by updating the Glance CLI
- No one from the OSC team has been able to proactively help to make
sure these changes make it into the OSC client (see bullet 3)
- There exists a sizable functionality gap between per-project CLIs and
what OSC provides, and although a few people have done a lot of great
work to close that gap, there is still a lot to be done and does not
appear the gap will close at any point in the near future based on the
current trends