[all][tc] Moving PTL role to "Maintainers"

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 15:26:33 UTC 2020

Hi,

> On 2 Mar 2020, at 22:45, Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone:
>
> We're now in a spot where we have an increasing amount of projects
> that don't end up with a volunteer as PTL, even if the project has
> contributors .. no one wants to hold that responsibility alone for
> many reasons.  With time, the PTL role has become far more overloaded
> with many extra responsibilities than what we define in our charter:
>
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/charter.html#project-team-leads
>
> I think it's time to re-evaluate the project leadership model that we
> have.  I am thinking that perhaps it would make a lot of sense to move
> from a single PTL model to multiple maintainers.  This would leave it
> up to the maintainers to decide how they want to sort the different
> requirements/liaisons/contact persons between them.

I’m afraid that in such maintainers group there will be still a need to have some kind of leader who will propose/ask others to be liaisons or take some other roles. So it will be still some kind of PTL but maybe with different name and/or elected in different way.
Otherwise it may end up that everyone will look for others to do something. If responsibility for something is on many people then in fact nobody is responsible for that.

> The above is just a very basic idea, I don't intend to diving much
> more in depth for now as I'd like to hear about what the rest of the
> community thinks.
>
> Thanks,
> Mohammed

—