Delegating and routing an IPv6 prefix to an instance

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Mon Jun 29 15:10:18 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-26 20:16, Brian Haley wrote:
> The Neutron implementation of IPv6 PD doesn't support the use case
> you're describing, allocating an entire /64 to a device/neutron port.
>
> The Neutron router can only do PD, then advertise the /64 it received
> on a downstream IPv6 subnet.  While this does give the instance an
> IPv6 address that is globally unique, it's just the single address.

Thanks for your reply and the time to look into this!

It might be a bit of a leap, but would this feature not be similar to a
floating public IP which I can assign to an instance in the IPv4 world?
Certainly with virtually unlimited globally unique IPv6 space there is
no need for this in regards to the IPv6 prefixes an instance receives to
be reachable - they could all have globally routed and reachable
addresses if need be.

But some sort of pool of "additional" <s>public</s> globally unique
prefixes that can be requested, bound and routed to an instance would be
nice - kinda like
https://www.terraform.io/docs/providers/openstack/r/compute_floatingip_v2.html#example-usage
.

What would be the process of getting such a feature into a working
specification in case one was interested in implementing this?

Regards

Christian