[horizon] patternfly?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 13:33:12 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-06-26 at 15:08 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
> > [...]
> > Thank you for your helpful comment, however you seem to be
> > misunderstanding the situation. Nobody is going to be doing any reviews
> > of available frameworks or selecting them. If you want a Horizon
> > replacement to be written in a particular framework, you can simply sit
> > down and write it in that framework, it's that simple. Nobody is going
> > to tell you what to use, the choice is entirely yours. Conversely, if
> > you don't want to write the code, then telling the people who want to
> > write it what to use is pretty pointless, especially since there doesn't
> > seem to be any such people around.
>
> I agree that the first step is to form a group of volunteers interested
> in working on such a new project. That group can discuss their scope and
> objectives, then which framework is the best match for their skills and
> goals.
>
> Historically we have struggled to attract JS developers into the
> OpenStack community, our core being Python-based. We've had the same
> issue for years attracting developers to help improve Storyboard, after
> its original JS developer left (amusingly enough, after having pushed an
> Angular rewrite over the original Django app).
>
>  From the outside of this hypothetical team, the Horizon team says that
> it will continue to maintain the distro-friendly Django-based Horizon
> code, and that as a team it has no interest/bandwidth in driving a
> rewrite internally. That means a new team needs to form up (even if
> obviously some people can be member of both teams).
>
> Now from the outside of this hypothetical new team, the TC can say if it
> supports the idea of a more-JS-native harder-to-package framework and
> would gladly add it the list of official OpenStack project teams as an
> alternative solution to Horizon. That may encourage some to step up.

yes this is more or less what i was thinking too in terms or how this thread could proceed
into something concreate and actionable. for what its worth i do not have time to
join either the new team or exiting horizon team.

horizon serves my need well. if there was a light weight althernitive that worked well
i might adopt it but its not something im planning to invest my time in.
it is encuraging to see that people actully care about this topic however.