[horizon] patternfly?

Radomir Dopieralski rdopiera at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 11:50:17 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:50 PM Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> just as an aside if the direction of this tread is to start a parralel
> project to create
> a more moderen openstack dashboard. before selecting any framework i would
> suggest doing a review
> of several options and if that is done i would suggest that flutter
> https://flutter.dev/
> be consider since iw toul provide a way to have a singel codebase that
> will work acorss mobile(ios and android),
> https://flutter.dev/web and eventually https://flutter.dev/desktop. react
> vue.js patternfly all have there merrits
> too but if you are going to embark on this it might be nice to create
> something that is accessble across many devices
> at the same time if it does not significantly increase the burden to do so.

Thank you for your helpful comment, however you seem to be misunderstanding
the situation. Nobody is going to be doing any reviews of available
frameworks or selecting them. If you want a Horizon replacement to be
written in a particular framework, you can simply sit down and write it in
that framework, it's that simple. Nobody is going to tell you what to use,
the choice is entirely yours. Conversely, if you don't want to write the
code, then telling the people who want to write it what to use is pretty
pointless, especially since there doesn't seem to be any such people around.

The current Horizon developers are not going to do it. We are too busy
maintaining the released versions of Horizon and trying to keep up with new
features being added to OpenStack, and that situation is unlikely to change
for at least several years from now, even if a replacement for Horizon with
full feature parity was released tomorrow — we will still need to support
the released versions of Horizon. We are happy to help with advice and
explanations of how current Horizon implementation works — but we won't
write the code. You have to start that project yourself or find other
developers willing to work on it, who won't mind you telling them which
framework to use.

Good luck.

--
Radomir Dopieralski