[horizon] patternfly?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Jun 26 07:17:32 UTC 2020

On 6/25/20 2:00 AM, Adrian Turjak wrote:

> On 24/06/20 8:34 pm, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 6/24/20 4:40 AM, Adrian Turjak wrote:
>>> But of all the things to change, the config layer is the least of our
>>> problems in Horizon, and with a good erb template (or jinja with
>>> ansible) I have never had much pain with it.
>> The biggest issue with a .erb template, is that it quickly gets
>> outdated, and needs care for each new version of Horizon. I felt that
>> pain multiple times recently.
> But that happens for every service adding new config really.

No. Other services using .ini have a default option embedded it the code
itself (ie: that's how oslo.config works...), so if the option isn't
there in the config file, it continues to work. This isn't the case with
Horizon.

> What really bugs me with Horizon is the enabled files for managing
> panels/plugins etc. That's a nightmare to deal with depending on where
> you deploy it and what panels you want.

If using packages, it's not a problem at all. If the package is there,
the enabled file is there, that's it.

> Better config in general is definitely something to think about if a New
> Horizon ever happens, although non '.ini', because that's too limited a
> config format.

There is oslo.policy already understanding yaml files. Maybe that's one
way to go?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)