[nova][doc] nova pdf building failing on new sphinx 3.1.0

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jun 12 03:29:51 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone,

With the new release of Sphinx 3.1.0, nova pdf-docs building started failing due to
TeX memory issue (maybe this one - https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/3099).
I could not find the related changes in 3.1.0 which can cause this issue.

The issue is to include the giant sample files(policy for now) in pdf doc. I am sure that was discussed previously also
when we started pdf building in the Train cycle but do not know what was the solution?

Luckily neutron is not facing this as their config sample files are as large as nova.

I have logged bug[1] and provided the workaround[2] to unblock the nova gate. Workaround is to
include the link to the sample file instead if its full content.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1883200
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/735279/

-gmann