[cyborg][neutron][nova] Networking support in Cyborg

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Thu Jun 11 13:14:07 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 11:04, "Nadathur, Sundar"
<sundar.nadathur at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     Based on the Victoria PTG discussion [1], here's a stab at making
> some aspects of the Nova-Neutron-Cyborg interaction more concrete.
>
> * Background: A smart NIC may have a single 'device' that combines
> the accelerator and the NIC, or two (or more) components in a single
> PCI card, with separate accelerator and NIC components.

[snip]

> * Who creates these RPs? I suggest Cyborg create it in all cases, to
> keep it uniform. Neutron creates RPs today for the bandwidth
> provider. But, if different services create RPs depend on which
> feature is enabled and whether it is a single/multi-component device,
> that can get complex and problematic.  So, could we discuss the
> possibility of Neutron not creating the RP? The admin should not
> configure Neutron to handle such NICs.

Neutron today creates the RP only if bandwidth is configured in
[ovs]/resource_provider_bandwidths or
[sriov_nic]/resource_provider_bandwidths . So as an initial step you
can state that smartNIC does not support QoS minimum bandwidth policy
rules and therefore require the admin not set the above neutron
configurations. However I think in the long term we would like to
support QoS minimum bandwidth rules so either we have to find a way
that the neutron created RP could coexists with the Cyborg proposal, or
Cyborg needs to grow support for QoS for smartNIC on its own.

[snip]

Cheers,
gibi