[all][release] One following-cycle release model to bind them all

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jun 11 12:16:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-11 14:05:18 +0200 (+0200), Luigi Toscano wrote:
[...]
> Can we at least enforce a rule that when tagging the "OpenStack"
> release, the y number should be increased? Bonus points for having
> the stabilization (RC) release use y=0, and the stable one starts
> from y=1.
>
> I know it may not sound to important for a computer, but it's
> useful for a human eye to know that the first release has a final
> 0 somewhere? (I really dislike the apache and mysql model in this
> regard)

As pointed out, this already isn't the case for the many projects
currently following this model, especially those which branch
earlier in the cycle. It's also a bit of a puzzle... basically every
new release you tag on the stable branch could be your final
release, so how do you predict in advance that you won't need
additional patches?

I guess you could make every new tag in stable prior to the release
a semantic versioning "feature" addition (even though it's really
just patch level fixes), so you branch at 14.0.0, and then decide
you need some fixes and tag 14.1.0, and then realize you need more
fixes so tag 14.2.0, but then after the coordinated release you only
increase the patch level of the version to 14.2.1, 14.2.2 and so on.
Is that basically what you're suggesting?
--
Jeremy Stanley