[neutron] Virtual PTG summary

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 13:07:47 UTC 2020

# Day 1 (Tuesday)

## Retrospective

>From the good things team mentioned that migration of the networking-ovn
driver to the core neutron went well. Also our CI stability improves in the
last cycle. Another good thing was that we implemented all required in this
cycle community goals and we even migrated almost all jobs to Zuul v3 syntax
already.  Not so good was progress on some important Blueprints, like adoptoion
of the new engine facade. The other thing mentioned here was activity in the
stadium projects and in the neutron-lib.

## Support for the new oslo.policy

Akihiro and Miguel volunteered to work on this in the Victoria if they will
have some cycles. It is important feature from the Keystone team's point of
view. Keystone and Nova teams already have some experience on that transition
so they can help us with that. We need to ensure that new policies in neutron
can works fine with e.g. old ones defined in the stadium projects.

## Adoption of new enginefacade

We discussed how to finish this adoption of new enginefacade in Neutron in
Victoria cycle.
There is couple of people who volunteered to help with that.
After it will be done in Neutron we need to check what changes are required
in the stadium projects too.

## tenant_id/project_id transition

Rodolfo raised this issue that in some places we may still have e.g. only
tenant_id and miss project_id. We should all be aware of that and whenever we
see something like that e.g. in neutron, neutron-lib, tempest or other repos,
we should propose patch to change that.

## Neutronclient -> OSC migration

We found out that the only blocker which prevents us to EOL
python-neutronclient as a CLI tool is lack of possibility to pass custom
arguments to the commands.
As we know, OSC/SDK team don't have anything against adding support for
that in OSC. It's actually already done for e.g. Glance.
Slaweq volunteered to work on it this cycle and if that will be done,
define final date of EOL for python-neutronclient for Victoria+2 cycle.

## RFEs review

We reviewed about 10 old, stagnant RFEs. We decicded to close some of them
as non relevant anymore. For others we discussed some details and we will
continue this discussion on LP and on the drivers meetings.

## Review of stadium projects

We needed to review list of stadium projects again. Conclusions are:

* neutron-vpnaas, networking-odl, networking-bagpipe, networking-bgpvpn are in
  good shape and we can definitely keep them in stadium,
* neutron-fwaas - we will delete all code from this repo now and mark it as
  deleted project, see [1] for example how this is done,
* neutron-dynamic-routing - send email to call for maintainers, but don't
  consider it as deprecated yet in this cycle, maybe in the next one,
* networking-midonet - this one is the problem currently as it isn't well
  tested with current neutron in u/s gate.

# Day 2 (Wednesday)

## Meeting with Edge SIG
During this call project [2] was mentioned. For now it was moved to
unofficial projects namespace but maybe someone will revive this project if
there is use case for it.
We talked about [3] and doing it in Victoria cycle. After discussions about
the same with Nova team on Friday (see below) we decided that as a first step
Nova will work on changes on their side and those changes will not require
anything from the Neutron. On our side, Miguel Lavalle volunteered tentatively
that he can work on this on too.
There was also question about support of IEEE 1588 (PTP) in Neutron - so
far we don't have any support for it. But we are always welcome for new RFEs :)

## Future of metering agent

Discussion was related to the spec [4]. General conclustion from the
discussion is that we will work on this new L3 agent extension which will
collect metering data but this will not be in any way replacement for the old
metering agent.
When this will be ready, we can start discussion about potential
deprecation of the old metering agent and its API but that's nothing for the
current cycle for sure.

## ML2/OVS and OVN feature gaps

List of gaps between ML2/OVS and ML2/OVN backends is in [5]. We discussed
how to maintain this list and make it smaller.
Decision from this discussion is that we will try to remember to add new
items to this list every time when some new feature will be added to Neutron
and implemented in ML2/OVS. We will also open LP for such things to keep it
tracked on OVN driver side and to implement that when it will be needed by
community.

## OVN driver and agent API

During this discussion we talked about Neutron agents API and two options in
it:

* setting admin to be disabled (admin_state_up = False) - we decided that this
  is really relevant only for L3 and DHCP agents. It's not really used for OVS or
  Linuxbridge agents and it shouldn't also have any effect for OVN drivers. So
  Kuba will propose RFE with description of what our API should return in case of
  setting this admin_state_up value for agents for which it doesn't makes sense,
* deletion of agents - we decided that for ovn agents it should be possible to
  delete them in same way how it is done now for other agents. This has some
  downside when user will delete agent which is still alive. In such case agent
  will be deleted and immediatelly shown back in neutron agent list. That is
  because of how OVN is storing data about those "agents" internally and how
  Neutron OVN driver uses this data. This isn't however big issue because it may
  happend in exactly same way for example for OVS/DHCP/L3 agents if user will
  delete them just before it will send new heartbeat message to the Neutron
  server.

## Stateless security groups support for OVS firewall (and OVN?)

Conclusion from this discussion is that there is need and use cases (DPDK,
telco) to introduce stateless security groups in openvswitch and ovn firewall
drivers. During the discussion we agreed that implementation shouldn't be
really thought. Bernard volunteered to open LP to track it for both of those
drivers.

## OVN concept of distributed localport ports used for Metadata agent and DHCP

Maciek explained us limitations in current implementation of segments in
Neutron and how it blocks OVN driver to support that. Basically the problem is
that currently Neutron has limitation that one port can be only on one segment.
OVN driver is using "special" ports (local ports in OVN) to handle metadata and
dhcp. And such port has to have IP address from all segments which belongs to
the network. We agreed to introduce new type of device_owner which will mean
that port is "distributed". Such kind of port may then be in more than one
segment at same time. Basically this concept is similar to how DVR router ports
works currently.

## Switching default backend in Devstack to be OVN

At the end of the day we discussed possibility to switch Devstack's default
backend in Neutron to be OVN instead of OVS agent. We all agreed that this is
big step forward and that we want to do that as Neutron team.
We want to give with this change clear signal that we believe that OVN
backend is future of the Neutron and we want to invest more in that.
Hovewer we want to highlight that this means *nothing* for real production
environments. We are *not* going to deprecate any backends. All existing
drivers will be tested as they are tested now in the Neutron gate. Different
deployment tools may still use different backends as default ones.
This change will be however pretty big change for all OpenStack projects
which will use OVN driver as Neutron's backend in their jobs. Such change was
already done in TripleO in Stein cycle and it went pretty smooth so we are not
expecting any serious issues there.
We would like to do this change which we set for ourselves is Victoria-2
milestone.

# Day 3 (Thursday)

## Deprecation of use_veth_interconnection in the ovs-agent

It seems after discussion that this config option was introduced very long
time ago and was probably related to something like descibed in [6] but later
Open vSwitch introduced patch ports and there was another old LP [7] which was
saying that ovs-agent should use patch ports instead of veth pairs. And that
solution is still recommended today in the Neutron.
So we agreed to deprecate this option in the Victoria cycle and remove it
completly in W cycle.

## Loki service plugin

Service plugin called "loki" is developed to be use in the CI jobs and to
add DB deadlock errors to some random DB queries. But for now it's not used at
all in the Neutron CI. During the discussion we decided to add new periodic
Zuul job which will run neutron-tempest-plugin.api tests with enabled loki
service plugin to check if Neutron still can handle properly such random DB
Deadlocks.

## SR-IOV ML2 driver support for VLAN trunking

Patch related to this discussion is [8] - it's big patch which introduces
base trunk driver interface for SR-IOV agent but also implementation of this
base driver for Intel cards. During the discussion we agreed that we shouldn't
have such vendor specific code in the Neutron tree. Our suggestion was to split
this patch into two pieces - base driver which will be in the Neutron repo and
Intel specific driver which will be hosted in some other repository.

## Neutron-lib

	We were discussion couple of different issues related to the neutron-lib in
general.

* Nate started discussion about future of the neutron-lib and if this is still
  really needed. His proposal was to relax a bit policies about what should be
  re-homed from Neutron to the neutron-lib repository. Originally neutron-lib was
  introduced to help neutron stadium and 3rd-party projects to not import things
  from neutron but from the neutron-lib only and have less dependencies thanks to
  that. Currently development of neutron-lib is much slower than it was in the
  past and we don't see so much need to use neutron-lib from the developers of
  the stadium or 3rd-party projects.
  After some discussion we agreed that neutron-lib is still usefull and
  important to keep e.g. api definitions and highligh base generic interfaces for
  neutron and other related projects. So we will keep neutron-lib as it is now
  but we will relax a bit policy of what will be moved to this repo from the
  neutron.
  Second outcome from the same discussion was decision that we will change
  a bit our policy of updating every neutron-lib/neutron consumer when we will
  re-home things. We will be focused only on Neutron stadium projects. For other
  projects we will introduce 1 cycle deprecation period for things which are
  moved out from the neutron to neutron-lib repo.

* Adam from the Octavia team started discussion about how to test neutron
  and neutron-lib changes. Currently all neutron CI jobs are using latest
  released neutron-lib version. But because of that developers can't use
  "Depends-On" to test some neutron change together with the related neutron-lib
  change. After discussion our final decision is that we will propose one
  additional CI job which will use neutron-lib from master branch. So this job
  can be used to check neutron and neutron-lib changes together before
  neutron-lib with required change will be released.

# Day 4 (Friday)

## Nova-Neutron-Cyborg cross projects session

This was long (2h) session where we discussed couple of important things.

* First topic was about scheduling of the routed networks. After some
  discussion was that Nova team will work on something only on Nova's side as a
  first step. Later we will see how to move forward with integration of Nova and
  Neutron there.
* Second topic was about updating minimum bandwdith for the ports. We agreed
  that this should be done on Neutron side and Neutron will update resource
  allocation directly in Placement. There is no need to involve Nova in this
  process. We also decided that we will not allow update values of the existing,
  already associated rules in the QoS Policy. The only possible way to change
  minimum bandwidth will be to update port to associate it with new QoS Policy.
* Last topic on this meeting was related moslty to Cyborg and Nova cooperation.
  There will be required some changes on the Neutron side as well, like e.g. add
  new api extension which will add "device profile" to the port object. This new
  attribute will contain e.g. information about name of the device profile from
  Cyborg. Details are in doc: [9]

## Future of lib/neutron and lib/neutron-legacy in devstack

In Devstack there are currently 2 modules which can configure Neutron. Old
one called "lib/neutron-legacy" and the new one called "lib/neutron". It is
like that since many cycles that "lib/neutron-legacy" is deprecated. But it is
still used everywhwere. New module isn't still finished and isn't working fine.
This is very confusing for users as really maintained and recommended is still
"lib/neutron-legacy" module.

During the discussion Sean Collins explained us that originally this new
module was created as an attempt to refactor old module, and to make Neutron in
the Devstack better to maintain. But now we see that this process failed as new
module isn't still used and we don't have any cycles to work on it. So our
final conclusion is to "undeprecate" old "lib/neutron-legacy" and get rid of
the new module.

## OVN master and stable CI jobs

Currently we are running all Neutron OVN related jobs with OVN installed
from packages provided by operating system. Maciek explained us why we should
also test it with OVN from master branch. It is like that because often new
features added to the OVN driver in Neutron are really dependent on changes in
the OVN project. And until such changes in OVN aren't really released we can't
test if Neutron OVN changes really works with new OVN code as they should.
So we deviced to change "neutron-ovn-tempest-full-multinode-ovs-master"
that it will also install OVN from the source.

## CI Status

During discussion about our CI jobs we decided to remove from the Neutron
check queue 2 non-voting and still not stable jobs:
"neutron-tempest-plugin-dvr-multinode-scenario" and
"neutron-tempest-dvr-ha-multinode-full" and move those jobs to the experimental
queue. This is temporary solution until we will fix those 2 jobs finally.

# Team photo

It wasn't as great as in other PTGs. But You can find our team photos in
the current context at [10]. Credits for photos comes to Rodolfo and Jakub who
made them :) Thx a lot!

# Etherpads

Etherpad from Neutron sessions can be found at [11]. Notes from the
Nova-Neutron-Cyborg session can be found at [12].

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack/congress
[2] https://opendev.org/x/neutron-interconnection
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1832526
[4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1817881