[all][release] One following-cycle release model to bind them all

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 9 10:00:14 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

As you know[1] I'm trying to push toward simplification of OpenStack
processes, to make them easier to navigate for new members of our
community and generally remove weight. A good example of that is release
models.

We used to have a single model (with milestones and RCs) but over time
we grew a number of alternative models to accommodate corner cases. The
result is a confusing collection of release models with abstract rules
for each and not much flexibility. Projects are forced to choose between
those models for their deliverables, with limited guidance. And much of
the rationale for those models (exercise release machinery early and
often, trigger external testing...) is no longer valid.

I'd like to suggest we simplify this and have a single model for things
that follow the development cycle: the "follows-cycle" model. The only
alternative, its nemesis, its Wario would be the "independent" release
model.

In the "follows-cycle" model, deliverables would be released at least
once per cycle, but could be released more often. The "final" release
would be marked by creating a release (stable) branch, and that would
need to be done before a deadline. Like today, that deadline depends on
whether that deliverable is a library, a client library, a
release-trailing exception or just a regular part of the common release.

The main change this proposal introduces would be to stop having release
candidates at the end of the cycle. Instead we would produce a release,
which would be a candidate for inclusion in the coordinated OpenStack
release. New releases could be pushed to the release branch to include
late bugfixes or translation updates, until final release date. So
instead of doing a 14.0.0.0rc1 and then a 14.0.0.0rc2 that gets promoted
to 14.0.0, we would produce a 14.0.0, then a 14.0.1 and just list that
14.0.1 in the release page at coordinated release time.

I feel like this would not change that much for deliverables following
the cycle-with-rc model. It would not change anything for
cycle-with-intermediary, libraries or cycle-trailing deliverables. But
it would simplify our processes quite a bit, and generally make our
releases more consistent.

Thoughts?

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-March/013236.html