[nova] running nova-scheduler in a container

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 17:26:34 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-06-05 at 12:33 -0400, Jean-Philippe Méthot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve been building my own docker images as a mean to both learn docker and to see if we can make our own images and
> run them in production. I’ve figured out how to make most services run fairly well. However, an issue remains with
> nova-scheduler and I can’t seem to figure out what’s going on.
>
> Essentially, when I try to create a VM it loops in a scheduling state and when I try to delete a VM, it loops forever
> in a deleting state.

the scheduler is not invlvoed in deleteing a vm so this more or less rules out the schduler as teh route cause.
i woudl guess the issue likes somewhere beteen the api and conductor.

>  I’ve narrowed down the culprit to nova-scheduler.
can you explaine why you think its the nova-schduler?
>  As far as I know, nothing appears in the debug logs of my containerized nova-scheduler whenever I do any kind of
> action, which forces me to believe that nova-scheduler is not receiving any command.
did you confirm thjat the conductor was reciving the build requierst and calling the schduler.

> From what I’ve always understood, nova-scheduler works through RPC and Rabbitmq. The fact that this nova-scheduler
> connects to rabbitmq without issue makes me believe that something else is missing from my container configuration.
>
> Does Nova-scheduler listen on network port?
not the scudler only compunicates withthe conductor via the rpc bus.
>  Does it listen on a socket?
no
>  Is there any way that nova-scheduler could ignore requests sent to it?
only if it was not listening to the corerct exchange.

i would first change that the api show an rpc to the conductor and validate that the conductor started the buidl
request.
if you see output in the conductor log realted to your api queries then you can check the logs to see if ti called the
schduler.