[largescale-sig][nova][neutron][oslo] RPC ping

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Jul 28 15:09:32 UTC 2020

On 7/28/20 9:25 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
> [...]
>>      > use to make sure compute waits to start up until conductor is
>>     available
>>      > to do its bidding. So if a new obligatory RPC server method is
>>     actually
>>      > added called ping(), it will break us.
>>      >
>>      >> Can you refresh my memory on why we dropped this before? I recall
>>      >> talking about it in Denver, but I can't for the life of me
>> remember
>>      >> what the conclusion was. Did we intend to use something else for
>>     this
>>      >> that has since fallen through?
>>      >
>>      > The prior conversation I recall was about helm sitting on our
>> bus to
>>      > (ab)use our ping method for health checks:
>>      >
>>      >
>>
>> https://opendev.org/openstack/openstack-helm/commit/baf5356a4fb61590a95f64a63c0dcabfebb3baaa
>>
>>      >
>>      > I believe that has since been reverted.
>>      >
>>      > The primary concern was about something other than nova sitting
>>     on our
>>      > bus making calls to our internal services. I imagine that the
>>     proposal
>>      > to bake it into oslo.messaging is for the same purpose, and I'd
>>     probably
>>      > have the same concern. At the time I think we agreed that if we
>> were
>>      > going to support direct-to-service health checks, they should be
>>     teensy
>>      > HTTP servers with oslo healthchecks middleware. Further loading
>> down
>>      > rabbit with those pings doesn't seem like the best plan to
>>      > me. Especially since Nova (compute) services already check in
>>     over RPC
>>      > periodically and the success of that is discoverable en masse
>> through
>>      > the API.
>>
>>     Having RPC ping in the common messaging library could improve
>> aliveness
>>     handling of long-running APIs, like listing multiple Neutron ports or
>>     Heat objects with full details, or running some longish Mistral
>>     workflow
>>     maybe. Indeed it should be made not breaking things already
>> existing in
>>     Nova ofc.
>>

>> Not sure this is related to your concern about long running API's but
>> O.M. has an optional RPC call heartbeat monitor that verifies the
>> connectivity to the server while the call is in progress.  See the
>> description of call_monitor_timeout in the RPC client docs [0].
>
> Correct, but heartbeats didn't show off as a reliable solution. There
> were WSGI & eventlet related issues [1] with running heartbeats. I can't
> recall that was the final outcome of that discussion and what was the
> fix. So relying on explicit pings sent by clients could work better

How so? The client is going to do the exact same thing as oslo.messaging
heartbeats - start a separate thread to send pings, then make the
long-running RPC call. It would hit the same eventlet/wsgi bug that
oslo.messaging does.

Also, there's a workaround for that bug in oslo.messaging:
https://github.com/openstack/oslo.messaging/commit/1541b0c7f965b9defb02b9e63975db2d29d99242
If you re-implemented heartbeating you would have to also re-implement
the workaround.

On a related note, I've added a topic to our next meeting to discuss
turning that workaround on by default since it's been there for a year
and no one has complained that it broke them.