[infra] CentOS support for mirror role in system-config

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Jul 21 16:30:19 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020, at 1:25 AM, Javier Pena wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> TL;DR: I have proposed a set of changes to add CentOS support to the
> mirror role in system-config with [1] and would appreciate reviews.
>
> Long version: the RDO project maintains a set of mirrors that mimic
> those provided by the OpenDev Infra team to jobs running in
> review.opendev.org. The reason for this is to provide the same
> environment for TripleO jobs to run on both OpenDev's and RDO's Gerrit
> platforms.
>
> Previously, we used the Puppet modules from the system-config repo,
> together with some unmerged changes to move that support to
> puppet-openstackci, as it was suggested during the review process [2].
> Once those modules were obsoleted, we have proposed a set of changes to
> the mirror ansible role [1] to add that support.
>
> I would appreciate reviews on those changes (thanks Ian for the first
> reviews!). Some of them are small bugfixes to fix the already existing
> CentOS support, while [3] is the one targeting the mirror role.

One thing we've done as part of the shift from puppet to Ansible is intentionally "hide" these implementation details. Specifically all of the roles under system-config/playbooks/roles aren't really intended to be consumed externally. We've done this because back with the Puppet modules we invested extra effort to make the modules re-consumable, but then never got much help in making that viable. With the shift to Ansible we've taken that as an opportunity to make it clear we don't really intend to make these roles re-consumable (that is why they are in playbooks/roles). This has allowed us to reduce the number of platforms we care about as well as make changes assuming we are the only users.

One specific concern along these lines is we've added https support to the mirrors. Our Xenial jobs are the last remaining place where https support isn't always available; once Xenial jobs are retired we'd like to force https. Doing that may break downstream users if they have consumers of their mirrors that cannot do https. This case may not apply to RDO, but I'm sure there are others that would.

That said, the use case you describe is a reasonable one. I think several of the changes are relatively minor and don't present major concern (particularly those to roles/ not playbooks/roles/), and we have much better ability to test things now. I'm not sure what the best option is at this point. I'd like to selfishly retain the simplicity we've gained through the switch to Ansible.

Would it make sense for RDO to use a copy of the role where centos support can be added? I guess the issue with this is the role has several other dependencies and isn't necessarily usable in isolation.

Would RDO expect us to coordinate upstream changes to the mirrors with them?

Curious to hear what others think.