device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Jason Wang jasowang at redhat.com
Thu Jul 16 09:30:41 UTC 2020

On 2020/7/16 下午4:32, Yan Zhao wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 12:16:26PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
>> On 2020/7/14 上午7:29, Yan Zhao wrote:
>>> hi folks,
>>> we are defining a device migration compatibility interface that helps upper
>>> layer stack like openstack/ovirt/libvirt to check if two devices are
>>> live migration compatible.
>>> The "devices" here could be MDEVs, physical devices, or hybrid of the two.
>>> e.g. we could use it to check whether
>>> - a src MDEV can migrate to a target MDEV,
>>> - a src VF in SRIOV can migrate to a target VF in SRIOV,
>>> - a src MDEV can migration to a target VF in SRIOV.
>>>     (e.g. SIOV/SRIOV backward compatibility case)
>>>
>>> The upper layer stack could use this interface as the last step to check
>>> if one device is able to migrate to another device before triggering a real
>>> live migration procedure.
>>> we are not sure if this interface is of value or help to you. please don't
>>> hesitate to drop your valuable comments.
>>>

>>> (1) interface definition
>>> The interface is defined in below way:
>>>
>>>                __    userspace
>>>                 /\              \
>>>                /                 \write
>>>               / read              \
>>>      ________/__________       ___\|/_____________
>>>     | migration_version |     | migration_version |-->check migration
>>>     ---------------------     ---------------------   compatibility
>>>        device A                    device B
>>>

>>> a device attribute named migration_version is defined under each device's
>>> sysfs node. e.g. (/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:02.0/$mdev_UUID/migration_version).
>>
>> Are you aware of the devlink based device management interface that is
>> proposed upstream? I think it has many advantages over sysfs, do you
>> consider to switch to that?
> not familiar with the devlink. will do some research of it.
>>
>>> userspace tools read the migration_version as a string from the source device,
>>> and write it to the migration_version sysfs attribute in the target device.
>>>
>>> The userspace should treat ANY of below conditions as two devices not compatible:
>>> - any one of the two devices does not have a migration_version attribute
>>> - error when reading from migration_version attribute of one device
>>> - error when writing migration_version string of one device to
>>>     migration_version attribute of the other device
>>>
>>> The string read from migration_version attribute is defined by device vendor
>>> driver and is completely opaque to the userspace.
>>
>> My understanding is that something opaque to userspace is not the philosophy
> but the VFIO live migration in itself is essentially a big opaque stream to userspace.

I think it's better not limit to the kernel interface for a specific use
case. This is basically the device introspection.

>> of Linux. Instead of having a generic API but opaque value, why not do in a
>> vendor specific way like:
>>
>> 1) exposing the device capability in a vendor specific way via sysfs/devlink
>> or other API
>> 2) management read capability in both src and dst and determine whether we
>> can do the migration
>>
>> This is the way we plan to do with vDPA.
>>
> yes, in another reply, Alex proposed to use an interface in json format.
> I guess we can define something like
>
> { "self" :
>    [
>      { "pciid" : "8086591d",
>        "driver" : "i915",
>        "gvt-version" : "v1",
>        "mdev_type"   : "i915-GVTg_V5_2",
>        "aggregator"  : "1",
>        "pv-mode"     : "none",
>      }
>    ],
>    "compatible" :
>    [
>      { "pciid" : "8086591d",
>        "driver" : "i915",
>        "gvt-version" : "v1",
>        "mdev_type"   : "i915-GVTg_V5_2",
>        "aggregator"  : "1"
>        "pv-mode"     : "none",
>      },
>      { "pciid" : "8086591d",
>        "driver" : "i915",
>        "gvt-version" : "v1",
>        "mdev_type"   : "i915-GVTg_V5_4",
>        "aggregator"  : "2"
>        "pv-mode"     : "none",
>      },
>      { "pciid" : "8086591d",
>        "driver" : "i915",
>        "gvt-version" : "v2",
>        "mdev_type"   : "i915-GVTg_V5_4",
>        "aggregator"  : "2"
>        "pv-mode"     : "none, ppgtt, context",
>      }
>    ]
> }

This is probably another call for devlink base interface.

> But as those fields are mostly vendor specific, the userspace can
> only do simple string comparing, I guess the list would be very long as
> it needs to enumerate all possible targets.
> also, in some fileds like "gvt-version", is there a simple way to express
> things like v2+?

That's total vendor specific I think. If "v2+" means it only support a
version 2+, we can introduce fields like min_version and max_version.
But again, the point is to let such interfaces vendor specific instead
of trying to have a generic format.

> If the userspace can read this interface both in src and target and
> check whether both src and target are in corresponding compatible list, I
> think it will work for us.
>
> But still, kernel should not rely on userspace's choice, the opaque
> compatibility string is still required in kernel. No matter whether
> it would be exposed to userspace as an compatibility checking interface,
> vendor driver would keep this part of code and embed the string into the
> migration stream.

Why? Can we simply do:

1) Src support feature A, B, C  (version 1.0)
2) Dst support feature A, B, C, D (version 2.0)
3) only enable feature A, B, C in destination in a version specific way
(set version to 1.0)
4) migrate metadata A, B, C

>   so exposing it as an interface to be used by libvirt to
> do a safety check before a real live migration is only about enabling
> the kernel part of check to happen ahead.

If we've already exposed the capability, there's no need for an extra
check like compatibility string.

Thanks