[ceilometer][octavia] polling meters

Rafael Weingärtner rafaelweingartner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:43:06 UTC 2020

That is the right direction. I don't know why people hard-coded the initial
pollsters' configs and did not document the relation between Gnocchi and
Ceilometer properly. They (Ceilometer and Gnocchi) are not a single system,
but interdependent systems to implement a monitoring solution. Ceilometer
is the component that gathers data/information, processes, and then
persists it somewhere. Gnocchi is one of the options that Ceilometer can
use to persist data. By default, Ceilometer creates some basic
configurations in Gnocchi to store data, such as some default
resource-types with default attributes. However, we do not need (should
not) rely on this default config.

You can create and use custom resources to fit the stack to your needs.
This can be achieved via `gnocchi resource-type create -a
<attribute_name>:<attribute_type>:<required> <name_of_resource_type>` and
`gnocchi resource-type create -u
<new_attribute_name>:<attribute_type>:<required> <name_of_resource_type>`.
Then, in the `custom_gnocchi_resources.yaml` (if you use Kolla-ansible),
you can customize the mapping of metrics to resource-types in Gnocchi.

--
Rafael Weingärtner