[cinder] last call for ussuri spec comments

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Fri Jan 31 00:18:54 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2020-01-30 at 17:18 -0500, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
> On 1/30/20 11:27 AM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
> > The following specs have two +2s.  I believe that all expressed concerns
> > have been addressed.  I intend to merge them at 22:00 UTC today unless a
> > serious issue is raised before then.
> >
> > https://review.opendev.org/#/c/684556/ - support volume-local-cache
>
> Some concerns were raised with the above patch.  Liang, please address
> them.  Don't worry if you can't get them done before the Friday
> deadline, I'm willing to give you a spec freeze exception.  I think the
> concerns raised will be useful in making clarifications to the spec, but
> also in pointing out things that reviewers should keep in mind when
> reviewing the implementation.  They also point out some testing
> directions that will be useful in validating the feature.

the one thing i want to raise related to this spec is that the design direction form the nova side
is problematic. when reviewing https://review.opendev.org/#/c/689070/ it was noted that the nova libvirt
driver has been moving away form mounting cinder volumes on the host and then passing that block device
to qemu, in favor of using qemu's nataive ablity to connect directly to remote storage.

looking at the latest version of the nova spec
https://review.opendev.org/#/c/689070/8/specs/ussuri/approved/support-volume-local-cache.rst@49
i notes that this feature will be only capable of caching volums that have already been mounted on the host.

while keeping the management of the volumes in os-bricks means that the over all impact on nova is minimal
considering that this feature would no longer work if we moved to useing qemu native isci support, and that it
will not work with NVMEoF volume or ceph im not sure that the nova side will be approved.

when i first review the nova spec i mention that i believed local cacheing could a useful feature but this really feels
like a capability that should be developed in qemu, specificly the applity to provide a second device as a cache for any
disk deivce assgiend to an instance. that would allow local caching to be done regardless of the storage backend used.
qemu cannot do that today so i understand that this approch is in the short to medium term likely the only workable
solution but i am concerned that the cinder side will be completed in ussuri and the nova side will not.