[largescale-sig] Meeting summary and next actions

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jan 29 11:45:03 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

The Large Scale SIG held a meeting today. You can access the summary and
logs of the meeting at:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/large_scale_sig/2020/large_scale_sig.2020-01-29-09.00.html

Regarding progress on our "Documenting large scale operations" goal, we
turned our collection of relevant articles more as a group background
activity than an immediate TODO. The idea is more to remember to add
links to the etherpad[1] when we come across relevant content.

oneswig mentioned the list to the Scientific SIG, in hopes that it would
trigger more entries.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/large-scale-sig-documentation

On the "Scaling within one cluster, and instrumentation of the
bottlenecks" goal, nobody filed a scaling story yet on the etherpad[2]
set up to collect them. masahito produced a first draft of the
oslo.metrics blueprint[3], up for the group review. Finally, oneswig
signed up to prepare a show-and-tell about some investigation they have
been doing in this area, for presentation at next meeting.

[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scaling-stories
[3] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704733/

Between now and next meeting, group members should prioritize:

- Reviewing oslo.metrics draft at https://review.opendev.org/#/c/704733/
and comment so that we can iterate on it

- Reading page on golden signals at
https://landing.google.com/sre/sre-book/chapters/monitoring-distributed-systems/#xref_monitoring_golden-signals

Other action items:
- oneswig to prepare show-and-tell for presentation at next meeting
- ttx to add meeting to eavesdrop on a every-two-week cadence
- all post short descriptions of what happens (what breaks first) when
scaling up a single cluster to
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/scaling-stories

The next meeting will happen on February 12, at 9:00 UTC on
#openstack-meeting.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)