[all] Nominations for the "W" release name

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Jan 21 15:48:09 UTC 2020

Hello all,

We get to be a little proactive this time around and get the release
name chosen for the "W" release. Time to start thinking of good names again!

Process Changes
---------------

There are a couple of changes to be aware of with our naming process. In
the past, we had always based our naming criteria on something
geographically local to the Summit location. With the event changes to
no longer have two large Summit-type events per year, we have tweaked
our process to open things up and make it hopefully a little easier to
pick a good name that the community likes.

There are a couple of significant changes. First, names can now be
proposed for anything that starts with the appropriate letter. It is no
longer tied to a specific geographic region. Second, in order to
simplify the process, the electorate for the poll will be the OpenStack
Technical Committee. Full details of the release naming process can be
found here:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html

Name Selection
--------------

With that, the nomination period for the "W" release name is now open.
Please add suitable names to:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming/W_Proposals

We will accept nominations until February 7, 202 at 23:59:59 UTC. We
will then have a brief period for any necessary discussions and to get
the poll set up, with the TC electorate voting starting by February 17,
2020 and going no longer than February 23, 2020.

Based on past timing with trademark and copyright reviews, we will
likely have an official release name by mid to late March.

Happy naming!

Sean