Updating Openstack from Pike non-containerised to something current

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 14:06:59 UTC 2020

On 21.01.2020 10:16, Tony Pearce wrote:
> I am planning to upgrade my Openstack Pike. Please could I ask some
> questions about this so I understand better how to proceed?
> *Background*:
> - I have Openstack Pike running on 3 nodes (2 x compute and 1 x
> controller). Storage is provided by a Cinder driver and separate vendor
> storage array (iSCSI).
>
> - I have a bug which is impacting Cinder in Pike which is not present in
> Queens/Stein.
>
> - Since I installed Openstack some years ago, I was not able to
> update/patch it for a number of reasons.
>
> - The Openstack which I installed was from the tripleo.org
> <http://tripleo.org> website and I followed the instructions there.
>
> - I have configured LBaaS that was available in Pike by making config
> changes to .conf files.
>
> - I recall reading a few months ago when I started looking into this
> that I need to update to the latest within the current version (Pike)
> first, before updating beyond Pike so I am planning for that.
>

> *Questions*:
> 1. do I first need to deconfigure / remove the LBaaS before attempting
> an upgrade beyond Pike?
> 2. The tripleo website is a little confusing. I am running Pike and it
> is not containerised. The upgrade info on tripleo.org
> <http://tripleo.org> mentions upgrades to Pike in a containerised

You should use official TripleO documentation [0]

[0]
https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/upgrade/developer/upgrades/major_upgrade.html

> environment. So should I follow the detail for the "Ocata and earlier"
> release in this case? ref:
> http://tripleo.org/upgrade/minor_update.html#updating-your-overcloud-ocata-and-earlier
> 3. Do I need to upgrade to each release? ie from Pike > Queens then
> Queens > Stein etc ? Or can I do this:
> a) update Pike to the latest in the current Pike release
> b) Update Pike to Train

You have to do it one by one, interleaving the two steps: upgrading
undercloud [1] firstly, then the overcloud. There is FFU (fast-forward
upgrade) [2] but AFAIK it is only expected to work when going from
Newton to Queens.
Upgrading by N+3 from Pike to Stein would involve upgrading OS major
version on hosts, so that guide wouldn't fit it.

FFU from Queens to Train is under developed.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/tripleo-docs/latest/post_deployment/upgrade/undercloud.html
[2]
https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/upgrade/developer/upgrades/fast_fw_upgrade.html