[magnum][kolla] etcd wal sync duration issue

Feilong Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Jan 21 02:34:26 UTC 2020

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing the article. As for the etcd volumes, you can disable
it by without setting the etcd_volume_size label. Just FYI.

On 17/01/20 6:00 AM, Eric K. Miller wrote:

> Hi Feilong,
>

> Before I was able to use the benchmark tool you mentioned, we saw some
> other slowdowns with Ceph (all flash).  It appears that something must
> have crashed somewhere since we had to restart a couple things, after
> which etcd has been performing fine and no more health issues being
> reported by Magnum.
>

> So, it looks like it wasn't etcd related afterall.
>

> However, while researching, I found that etcd's fsync on every write
> (so it guarantees a write cache flush for each write) apparently
> creates some havoc with some SSDs, where the SSD performs a full cache
> flush of multiple caches.  This article explains it a LOT better:
> https://yourcmc.ru/wiki/Ceph_performance (scroll to the "Drive cache
> is slowing you down" section)
>

> It seems that the optimal configuration for etcd would be to use local
> drives in each node and be sure that the write cache is disabled in
> the SSDs - as opposed to using Ceph volumes, which already adds
> network latency, but can create even more latency for synchronizations
> due to Ceph's replication.
>

> Eric

Cheers & Best regards,
Feilong Wang (王飞龙)
Head of R&D
Catalyst Cloud - Cloud Native New Zealand
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington