Re: [ironic][nova][neutron][cloud-init] Infiniband Support in OpenStack

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Jan 17 22:11:23 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020, at 7:31 AM, Kumari, Madhuri wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am trying to deploy a node with infiniband in Ironic without any success.
>

> The node has two interfaces, eth0 and ib0. The deployment is
> successful, node becomes active but is not reachable. I debugged and
> checked that the issue is with cloud-init. The cloud-init fails to
> configure the network interfaces on the node complaining that the MAC
> address of infiniband port(ib0) is not known to the node. Ironic
> provides a fake MAC address for infiniband ports and cloud-init is
> supposed to generate the actual MAC address of infiband ports[1]. But
> it fails[2] before reaching there.

Reading the cloud-init code [4][5] it appears that the ethernet format MAC should match bytes 13-15 + 18-20 of the infiniband address. Is the problem here that the fake MAC supplied is unrelated to the actual infiniband address? If so I think you'll either need cloud-init to ignore unknown interfaces (as proposed in the cloud-init bug), or have Ironic supply the mac address as bytes 13-15 + 18-20 of the actual infiniband address.

[4] https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/blob/9bfb2ba7268e2c3c932023fc3d3020cdc6d6cc18/cloudinit/net/__init__.py#L793-L795
[5] https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/blob/9bfb2ba7268e2c3c932023fc3d3020cdc6d6cc18/cloudinit/net/__init__.py#L844-L846