[qa][stable][tempest-plugins]: Tempest & plugins py2 jobs failure for stable branches (1860033: the EOLing python2 drama)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Jan 17 13:19:54 UTC 2020

 ---- On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 04:14:49 -0600 Bernard Cafarelli <bcafarel at redhat.com> wrote ----
 > On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 05:11, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
 > On 2020-01-16 22:02:05 -0600 (-0600), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > [...]
 > > Second option is to install the tempest and plugins in py3 env on
 > > py2 jobs also. This should be an easy and preferred way.
 > [...]
 >
 > This makes more sense anyway. Tempest and its plug-ins are already
 > segregated from the system with a virtualenv due to conflicts with
 > stable branch requirements, so hopefully switching that virtualenv
 > to Python 3.x for all jobs is trivial (but I won't be surprised to
 > learn there are subtle challenges hidden just beneath the surface).
 >
 > That sounds good for supported releases. Once we have them back in working order, I wonder how it will turn out for queens.In neutron, there is a recent failure [1] as this EM branch now uses a pinned version of the plugin. The fix there is most likely to also pin tempest - to queens-em [2] but then will also require some fix for the EOLing python2 drama.
 > As tempest is branchless, it looks like if we want to keep neutron-tempest-plugin tests for queens we will rather need solution 1 for this branch? (but let's focus first on getting the supported branches back in working order)

Yes, for EM branch we need to apply the options#1. Tempest does not support EM branches and we will keep using Tempest
master as long as it keeps passing. If it fails due to test incompatibility or any code behaviour, then we need to pin the Tempest.
We did this for Ocata[1] and Pike[2].

But for phyton 2.7 drop case, we will use py3 env if possible to test the stable branch until failing due to
other reasons then cap it. Currently, we support the Tempest pin by TEEMPEST_BRANCH but no way to
pin Tempest Plugins which need some logic in devstack side to pick up the plugin tag from job.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/681950/
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/684769/

-gmann