DR options with openstack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 16 21:24:15 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-16 19:49:08 +0000 (+0000), Albert Braden wrote:
[...]
> On IRC sometimes I find help by asking in other openstack-*
> channels. Sometimes people complain that I’m asking in a developer
> channel, but sometimes I get help
[...]

I hope we don't have "developer[-only] channels" in OpenStack. The
way of free/libre open source software is that users often become
developers once they gain an increased familiarity with a project,
so telling them to go away when they have a question is absolutely
the wrong approach if we want this to be a sustainable effort longer
term. I'm a developer on a number of projects where I still
regularly have questions as a user, so even for selfish reasons I
don't think that sort of discussion should be off-topic. If software
developers get annoyed by users asking them too many questions or
the same questions over and over, they should see that as a clear
sign that they need to improve the documentation they maintain.

So just to reassure you, you are absolutely doing the right thing by
asking folks in project-specific IRC channels (or on this mailing
list) when documentation about something is unclear or you encounter
an undocumented behavior you'd like help investigating.
--
Jeremy Stanley