[cliff][docs][requirements] new cliff versions causes docs to fail to build

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Jan 7 15:15:21 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 04:48:19PM -0600, Eric Fried wrote:
> On 12/22/19 11:53 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> > Looks like some things changed in the new version that we depended upon
> > and are now causing failures.
> >
> > Exception occurred:
> >   File "/home/zuul/src/opendev.org/openstack/python-openstackclient/.tox/docs/lib/python3.6/site-packages/cliff/sphinxext.py", line 245, in _load_app
> >     if not issubclass(cliff_app_class, app.App):
> > TypeError: issubclass() arg 1 must be a class
> >

> This should have been fixed by [1], which is in cliff since 2.14.0. The
> python-openstackclient docs target (which IIUC still uses the def in
> tox.ini?) pulls in requirements.txt which lists
>
>  cliff!=2.9.0,>=2.8.0 # Apache-2.0
>
> and upper-constraints, which is at 2.16.0. All that seems copacetic to
> me. I also can't reproduce the failure locally building
> python-openstackclient docs from scratch.
>
> What/where/how were you building when you encountered this?
>
> efried
>
> [1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/614218/

Part of this could be that cliff is still capped since the newest release has
some issues that have yet to be addressed. The upper constraint can't be raised
until they are (which also likely means blacklisting this version), but I
haven't seen any activity there yet.

So the fix that was supposed to handle this doesn't appear to have actually
done so.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-December/011741.html