[all][tripleo][openstack-ansible] Openstack Ansible modules - next steps

Sagi Shnaidman sshnaidm at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 11:20:04 UTC 2020

Hi,
last meeting was pretty short and only 2 participants due to holidays, so I
think we can discuss this week the same agenda. I remind that we agreed to
move ansible modules after 13 January.
- what is the best strategy for freezing current modules in Ansible?
Because a few patches were merged just recently [1] Seems like "freezing"
doesn't really work.
- python versions support in modules
- keeping history when moving modules
and other topics [2]
Please add your questions to "Open discussion" section if there are some.
Thanks

[1]
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/commits/devel/lib/ansible/modules/cloud/openstack
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-modules

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:00 AM Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> symlinking). It will avoid breaking people that use in their playbooks os_*
>> modules now.
>> 4. Old modules will be frozen after migrations and all development work
>> will go in the new modules which will live aside.
>> 5. Critical bugfixes to 2.9 versions will be done via Ansible GitHub repo
>> as usual and synced manually to "openstack." collection. It must be a very
>> exceptional case.
>> 6. Migrations are set for mid of January 2020 approximately.
>> 7. Modules should stay compatible with last Ansible and collections API
>> changed.
>> 8. Because current old modules are licensed with GPL and license of
>> Openstack is Apache2, we need to figure out if we can either relicense them
>> or develop new ones with different license or to continue to work on new
>> ones with GPL in SIG repo. Agreed to ask on legal-discuss ML.
>>
>> Long minutes:
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_sig/2019/api_sig.2019-12-05-16.00.html
>> Logs:
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/api_sig/2019/api_sig.2019-12-05-16.00.log.html
>>
>> Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-modules
>> Next time Thursday 12 Dec 2019 4.00 PM UTC.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:18 PM Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all
>>> In the meeting today we agreed to meet every Thursday starting *this
>>> week* at 4.00 PM UTC on #openstack-sdks channel on Freenode. We'll
>>> discuss everything related to Openstack Ansible modules.
>>> Agenda and topics are in the etherpad:
>>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-modules
>>> (I've created a new one, because we don't limit to Ironic modules only,
>>> it's about all of them in general)
>>>
>>> Short minutes from meeting today:
>>> Organizational:
>>> 1. We meet every Thursday from this week at 4.00 PM UTC on
>>> #openstack-sdks
>>> 2. Interested parties for now are: Ironic, Tripleo, Openstack-Ansible,
>>> Kolla-ansible, OpenstackSDK teams. Feel free to join and add yourself in
>>> the etherpad. [1]
>>> 3. We'll track our work in Storyboard for ansible-collections-openstack
>>> (in progress)
>>> 4. Openstack Ansible modules will live as collections under Ansible SIG
>>> in repo openstack/ansible-collections-openstack [2] because there are
>>> issues with different licensing: GPLv3 for Ansible in upstream and
>>> Openstack license (Apache2).
>>> 5. Ansible upstream Openstack modules will be merge-frozen when we'll
>>> have our collections fully working and will be deprecated from Ansible at
>>> some point in the future.
>>> 6. Openstack Ansible collections will be published to Galaxy.
>>> 7. There is a list of people that can be pinged for reviews in
>>> ansible-collections-openstack project, feel free to join there [1]

>>> 1. We use openstacksdk instead of [project]client modules.

--
Best regards
Sagi Shnaidman