[cliff][docs][requirements] new cliff versions causes docs to fail to build

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Mon Jan 6 22:48:19 UTC 2020

On 12/22/19 11:53 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> Looks like some things changed in the new version that we depended upon
> and are now causing failures.
>
> Exception occurred:
>   File "/home/zuul/src/opendev.org/openstack/python-openstackclient/.tox/docs/lib/python3.6/site-packages/cliff/sphinxext.py", line 245, in _load_app
>     if not issubclass(cliff_app_class, app.App):
> TypeError: issubclass() arg 1 must be a class

This should have been fixed by [1], which is in cliff since 2.14.0. The
python-openstackclient docs target (which IIUC still uses the def in
tox.ini?) pulls in requirements.txt which lists

 cliff!=2.9.0,>=2.8.0 # Apache-2.0

and upper-constraints, which is at 2.16.0. All that seems copacetic to
me. I also can't reproduce the failure locally building
python-openstackclient docs from scratch.

What/where/how were you building when you encountered this?

efried

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/614218/