[all][tc][uc] Uniting the TC and the UC

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 01:39:36 UTC 2020

On 25/02/20 5:23 am, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> 1- No bylaws change
> As bylaws changes take a lot of time and energy, the simplest approach
> would be to merge the TC and UC without changing the bylaws at all. The
> single body (called TC) would incorporate the AUC criteria by adding all
> AUC members as extra-ATC. It would tackle all aspects of our community.
> To respect the letter of the bylaws, the TC would formally designate 5
> of its members to be the 'UC' and those would select a 'UC chair'. But
> all tasks would be handled together.

I think there's an even simpler approach. Any member of the foundation
can nominate themselves as a UC member. In the past we've just kept
extending the deadline until someone steps up. So the *simplest* thing
to do is:

* Run the election process as usual. If any users want to step up they
are welcome to, and on past performance very likely to be acclaimed
without an election.
* If the deadline passes, the TC commits to finding enough warm bodies
who are foundation members to fill any remaining seats, including from
among its own members if necessary.
* The additional volunteers are acclaimed, and all members of the UC
elect a chair.
* We accept that to the extent that the UC has duties to perform and
ambassadors to help, this will largely remain un-done.

This eliminates the issue of actual users needing to submit themselves
to an election of all ATCs + AUCs in order to get a seat (which tbh
seems questionable under the bylaws, since not all ATCs are AUCs).

- ZB