[all][tc][uc] Uniting the TC and the UC

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Feb 25 17:36:06 UTC 2020

Tim Bell wrote:
> Are there some stats on the active electorate sizes ?
>
> I have the impression that the voting AUCs were a smaller number of
> people than the contributors so a single election may result in less
> total representation compared to today’s UC & TC.

I don't have the exact numbers around, but yes, there are many more ATCs
(voters in the current TC election) than AUCs (voters in the current UC
election).

So it's a valid concern that people with more of an operator background
would have trouble getting elected if the electorate contains more
people with more of a developer background.

But I think it's a fallacy. There is plenty of overlap. Most engaged
operators are already ATCs, and more and more contributors have
operational experience. Data points show that when people with more
operational background have nominated themselves for the TC in recent
elections, they got elected. 10 of the 13 TC seats are currently
occupied by people with some decent amount of operational experience.

So yes, we clearly need to communicate that people with
operational/usage experience are wanted in that new body. We need to
communicate that there is a change, and a single body will now steward
all aspects of the open source projects and not just the upstream
aspects. But I'm not obsessing on the fact that a single election would
somehow suppress operator voices...

The problem recently has more been to find enough people willing to step
up and spend extra time stewarding OpenStack, than to actually get elected.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)