[neutron] networking-bagpipe gate failure

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 14:41:07 UTC 2020

Hi,

networking-bagpipe gate is broken now due to its dependencies.
The situation is complicated so I am summarizing it and exploring the
right solution.

# what happens now

Examples of the gate failure are [1] and [2], and the exact failure is
found at [3].
It fails due to horizon dependency from networking-bgpvpn train
release (horizon>=14.0.0<17.0.0) and the upper-constraints.txt master
(horizon==18.0.0).
The neutron team has not released a beta for ussuri, so
requirements.txt tries to install networking-bgpvpn train which has
capping of horizon version.
The capping of horizon in networking-bgpvpn was introduced in [6] and
we cut a release so it started to cause the failure like this.

We've explored several workarounds to avoid it including specifying
horizon in networking-bagpipe, specify horizon in required-projects in
networking-bagpipe and dropping networking-bgpvpn in requirements.txt
in networking-bagpipe, but all of them do not work.

# possible solutions

I am thinking two options.
The one is to cut a beta release in neutron stadium for ussuri.
The other is to uncap horizon in networking-bgpvpn train and release it.

I believe both work but the first one would be better as it is time to
release beta for Ussuri.
Discussing it in the IRC, we are planning to release beta soon.
(ovn-octavia-provider is also waiting for a beta release of neutron.)

# Side notes

Capping dependencies in stable branches is not what we usually do.
Why we don't do this was discussed in the mailing list thread [4] and
it is highlighted in [5].

Thanks,
Akihiro Motoki (irc: amotoki)

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/708829/