[nova][cinder] What should the behaviour of extend_volume be with attached encrypted volumes?

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 11:06:58 UTC 2020

On 13-02-20 09:51:02, Lee Yarwood wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The following bug was raised recently regarding a failure to extend
> attached encrypted volumes:
>
> Failing to extend an attached encrypted volume
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1861071
>
> I've worked up a series below that resolves this for LUKSv1 volumes by
> taking the LUKSv1 header into account before calling Libvirt to resize
> the block device within the instance:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:bug/1861071
>
> This results in the instance visable block device being resized to a
> size just smaller than that requested through Cinder's API.
>
> My question to the list is if that behaviour is acceptable given the
> same call to extend an attached unencrypted volume *will* grow the
> instance visable block device to the requested size?

Bumping the thread as I'm still looking for input. The above topic is
ready for review now so if I don't hear any objections I'll move forward
with the current approach of making the user visible block device
smaller within the instance.

Cheers,

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76