Active-Active Cinder + RBD driver + Co-ordination

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Thu Feb 6 09:15:12 UTC 2020

On 05/02, Paul Browne wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I had a quick question about Active-Active in cinder-volume and
> cinder-backup stable/stein and RBD driver, if anyone can help.
>
> Using only the Ceph RBD driver for volume backends, is it required to run
> A-A cinder services with clustering configuration so that they form a
> cluster?
>
> And, if so, is an external coordinator (redis/etcd/Consul) necessary,
> again only using RBD driver?

Hi,

For the time being the cluster concept only applies to the cinder-volume
service.  The cinder-backup service has 2 modes of operation: only
backup from current node (so we can have different backup drivers on
each node) deployed as A/P, and backup from any node (then all drivers
must be the same) deployed as A/A.

When deploying cinder-volume as active-active a coordinator is required
to perform the functions of a DLM to respect mutual exclusion sections
across the whole cluster.

Drivers that can be used for the coordination are those available in
Tooz [1] that support locks (afaik they all support them).

If you don't form a cluster and deploy all cinder-volume services in A/A
sharing the same host you'll end up in a world of pain, among other
things, as soon as you add a new node or a cinder-volume service is
restarted, as it will disturb all ongoing operations from the other
cinder-volume services.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gorka.