[cinder] anyone using Software Factory for third-party CI?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 14:37:07 UTC 2020

On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 14:27 +0000, Tristan Cacqueray wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:42 Sean Mooney wrote:
> > On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 09:26 +0000, 野村和正 / NOMURA,KAZUMASA wrote:
> > > Hi Wespark,
> > >
> > > I have started to take a look Software Factory from last week. I'm just getting started and trying to run
> > > sfconfig.
> > > If I got a beneficial information during building Software Factory, I let community members know.
> >
> > downstream at redhat we are starting to use software factory in the compute team for our internal ci.
> > software factory is just a packaged version of zuul so haveing used zuul to do third party ci in the past i
> > think it will be a good way of doing third party ci. that said zuul is also easy to deploy form source so
> > its really a personaly choice if you deploy software factory or zuul nativivly. zuul is an excllent ci/gating system
> > for both 1st and 3rd party ci.
>
> Please note that Software Factory is not just a packaged version of
> Zuul. It also integrates extra components such as Grafana for the
> monitoring and Logstash for indexing builds.
yes that is true.

> We find that installing from source and configuring by hand all the
> services needed to operate a third party ci can be complicated.
> Thus Software Factory also provides a configuration playbook to deploy
> and configure all the services together in just a few commands.
yes although i have done it 3 times, once by hand manually, once with kubernets and once with the docker compose exmaple
my experince is you can do it by hand in a day. kubernetes took me about a week or two weeks to get it working and
the docker comose example that zuul has which deploy gerrit,zuul,nodepool and a contianer as a static worker node can be
done in like an hour.

im sure Software Factory helps and i will proably try it next time but its not hard to do it manually its just involved.
if software factory makes it just a few commands and supprots day two operation like reconfiguration and upgrades
simpley then that is defintly added value.