Migration to Openstack from Proxmox

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Tue Feb 4 13:33:51 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020, 3:28 PM <jmacer at 42iso.com> wrote:

> We currently are using proxmox for a envrionment management, and while we
> were looking at DFS options we came across openstack, and we've decided to
> start looking at it as a replacement for proxmox. Has anyone made this
> migration before?

Keep on mind that you're still going to need a storage system like Ceph
separate from Openstack whereas you may be used concept being native in
Proxmox.

Besides that, migration is pretty straightforward. I assume you're already
running on KVM, so you should be able to snapshot and import your current
instances, volumes, etc.

Currently we're running a few Windows Server 12/16/19 virtual machines, but
> mostly centOS7 virtual machines, however what we are developing are
> micro-services that ideally would be deployed using k8s.

Openstack and k8s are great together. Check out the Openstack Magnum
project, cloudprovider-openstack, and if you're trying to so multiattach
persistent volumes, Manila.

Does anyone have any experience migrating between the two, or any other
> recommendation when considering openstack?

Follow one of the install guides on docs.openstack.org to do a manual
install so you get familiar with all the bits and bobs under the hood.
After that, pick a deployment project to create your production cluster.
Kolla-ansible, Openstack-ansible, Triple-O, and Juju are some popular ones.

Cheers,
Erik