[infra][tripleo] is it possible to control (tripleo) gate queue priority?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 17 16:45:04 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-17 16:43:08 +0200 (+0200), Marios Andreou wrote:
> tripleo-ci squad is wondering if it is possible for (some subset
> of) us to be able to set the priority of a particular patch/es in
> the tripleo queue.

Not directly, no, it's an administrative function of the Zuul
scheduler which can't be delegated by queue.

> We've done this "manually" in the past, by abandoning all patches
> in the gate & then restoring in order and putting the priority
> patch at the top of the dependency queue. However abandoning all
> the things is completely disruptive for everyone else (sometimes
> that might be necessary if your queue is way too long but
> still...).

It's actually not as terrible a solution as it sounds, you're
basically signalling to your contributors that your jobs are
unhealthy and your immediate priority is to focus on merging
identified fixes for that problem rather than other patches. It also
frees up our CI resources which you would otherwise be monopolizing
due to churn from repeated gate resets of massively long change
queues, ultimately helping those fixes merge more quickly. Of course
it also depends on your core review teams getting on the same page
and not continuing to approve unrelated changes which are unlikely
to merge at that point, but this is more of a social issue and not a
technical one.

> So the question is, is there a better way to put a particular
> patch at the top of our queue when we need to do that?
[...]

OpenDev's Zuul administrators have access to reorder queues in
dependent pipelines. Reach out to us through the OpenStack TaCT
SIG's #openstack-infra IRC channel on Freenode or here on
openstack-discuss with the [infra] subject tag, explaining which
approved changes you need moved to the front and why. Ideally
coordinate this with the rest of your team, since we don't want to
wind up in the middle of a team squabble where different
contributors are asking to have their changes prioritized at odds
with one another. To avoid confusion, we typically want to at least
see some acknowledgement of the request from your PTL or designated
Infra Liaison[*].

[*] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Infra

--
Jeremy Stanley