[ironic] IPA images: CentOS 8, Stream and Debian

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Dec 15 22:42:01 UTC 2020

On 12/15/20 9:22 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2020-12-15 20:53:30 +0100 (+0100), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> I wonder what Debian image you've been using. Have you tried one of the
>> daily image that the Debian Cloud Image Team prepares?
> [...]
>
> While admitting that I don't really know much about it, I suspect
> "cloud" images would be unsuitable since what Ironic needs is really
> a RAMdisk to bootstrap bare metal server inventorying and
> deployment.

You're assuming wrongly here. There's 2 types of images, one which we
call "generic" that contains all the drivers, and one which we call
"genericcloud" which uses the cloud kernel (ie: stripped with most
hardware support, better suited for OpenStack Qemu hypervisor). The
generic image is 284 MB, the cloud one is 221 MB (so 63 MB difference).

So the "generic" image should be ok as an image for Ironic. As I never
deployed Ironic myself, I'd be curious to know if the image is working
well under that environment. Please let me know!

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)