[ironic] IPA images: CentOS 8, Stream and Debian

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Dec 15 19:53:30 UTC 2020

On 12/15/20 5:08 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> Hi wonderful ironicers!
>
> Unless you spend the whole last week under a rock (good for you - I mean
> it!), you must be already aware that the classical CentOS as we know it
> is going away in favour of CentOS Stream, and maybe as soon as in the
> end of 2021!
>
> For us it means two things:
> 1) Bifrost will test with CentOS Stream, which may not 100% match the
> current stable RHEL.
> 2) We need to decide what to do with our published DIB images [1],
> currently based on CentOS 8.
>
> I'd like to concentrate on problem #2.
>
> We have conducted an experiment of switching to CentOS Stream, and it
> did not go so well. The image size has increased from ~ 340 MiB to
> nearly 450 MiB, causing serious issues in CI jobs using it. Because of
> this we're reverting the switch and considering other options.
>
> One is to figure out what causes the size increase and remove packages
> or manually delete files. We're already doing it quite intensively, so I
> expect this option to be time-consuming. We'll probably have to repeat
> this exercise regularly to keep up with the distribution changes.
>
> The other option is to switch to another distro. Debian looks promising
> in this context: 3 years of support and the image size is just 273 MiB.
> I have a patch [2] up for people who want to try the resulting image on
> their bare metal machines.
>
> What do you think? Are there any concerns with either option?
>
> [1] https://tarballs.openstack.org/ironic-python-agent/dib/files/
> <https://tarballs.openstack.org/ironic-python-agent/dib/files/>
> [2]
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ironic-python-agent-builder/+/767158
> <https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ironic-python-agent-builder/+/767158>

Hi Dmitry!

I wonder what Debian image you've been using. Have you tried one of the
daily image that the Debian Cloud Image Team prepares? [1]

If you choose the Debian path, you have all of my support, and I'll try
to help as much as I can.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/cloud/ and look for the "generic"