[oslo][nova][glance][cinder] move cursive library to oslo?

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 04:53:39 UTC 2020

Hello Oslo Team,

Nova, Glance, and Cinder all make use of the 'cursive' library for
image-signature-validation.  The library is currently in the 'x'
namespace: https://opendev.org/x/cursive

The current cursive-core team entirely consists of members of the Johns
Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, which ended its
involvement with OpenStack in July 2018 [0].

This leaves us in a position where three of the major openstack projects
depend on a library to which no one currently around can approve code
changes.

I'd like to propose that the cursive library be moved back to the
'openstack' namespace and be put under Oslo governance with the
consuming teams sharing the maintenance of the library.  I don't think
this will make much new work for the Oslo team--the library has been
very stable and hasn't changed in over 2 years--but it will ensure that
should any bugfixes be required, there will be oslo team members who can
approve the patches.

Thanks for thinking this over,
brian

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-July/131978.html