[TripleO] moving stable/rocky for tripleo repos to unmaintained (+ then EOL) OK?

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 17:01:15 UTC 2020

Hello TripleO

I would like to propose that we move all tripleo stable/rocky repos [1] to
"unmaintained", with a view to tagging as end-of-life in due course.

This will allow us to focus our efforts on keeping the check and gate
queues green and continue to deliver weekly promotions for the more recent
and active stable/* branches train ussuri victoria and master.

The stable/rocky repos have not had much action in the last few months - I
collected some info at [2] about the most recent stable/rocky commits for
each of the tripleo repos. For many of those there are no commits in the
last 6 months and for some even longer.

The tripleo stable/rocky repos were tagged as "extended maintenance"
(rocky-em) [2] in April 2020 with [3].

We have already reduced our CI commitment for rocky - these [4] are the
current check/gate jobs and these [5] are the jobs that run for promotion
to current-tripleo. However maintaining this doesn’t make sense if we are
not even using it e.g. merging things into tripleo-* stable/rocky.

Please raise your objections or any other comments or thoughts about this.
Unless there are any blockers raised here, the plan is to put this into
motion early in January.

One still unanswered question I have is that since there is no
‘unmaintained’ tag, in the same way as we have the <release>-em or
<release-eol> for extended maintenance and end-of-life, do we simply
_declare_ that the repos are unmaintained? Then after a period of “0 to 6
months” per [6] we can tag the tripleo repos with rocky-eol. If any one
reading this knows please tell us!

Thanks for reading!

regards, marios

[1] https://releases.openstack.org/teams/tripleo.html#rocky