octavia flavor question

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Dec 6 17:31:03 UTC 2020

On 12/5/20 8:18 PM, Satish Patel wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am deployed Octavia and now trying to understand how does flavor
> play there role using this guide
> https://docs.openstack.org/octavia/latest/admin/flavors.html
>

> In my octavia.conf i have statically defined nova flavor so when i
> spin up LB it always use m1.amphora (UUID:
> 8651951f-e478-4efb-b298-cf3150d38472) which has 1vCPU/2GB memory.
>
> # grep amp_flavor_id /etc/octavia/octavia.conf
> amp_flavor_id = 8651951f-e478-4efb-b298-cf3150d38472
>
> Question: how do I create or tell octavia to use multiple nova flavors
> for example, I want 3 flavors
>
> m1.amphora  - 1vCPU/2GB/20GB disk
> m2.amphora  - 4vCPU/4GB/20GB disk
> m3.amphora  - 8vCPU/8GB/40GB disk  (with HugePage and CPUpinning support)
>
> I want my users to have the option to select whatever flavor they
> like. how does that fit here?  I didn't find any document explaining
> that feature to select your desired nova flavor. Did I miss something?

Hi,

I'm not sure how to do what you wrote above, but what I know, is that
what Octavia recommends isn't enough. For very busy sites, I would
recommend 4GB of RAM, and I would strongly recommend having logrotate to
rotate the logs every hours, plus not keep too many logs. I've done that
because otherwise, we saw failures in the Amphora (no remaining HDD
space, etc.). Though, in such setup, 4GB of HDD space is enough (instead
of 2GB, which is what was recommended). You're pushing the limit to
20GB, that's really too much.

I hope this helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)